present building took part of its original shape in 1885 as
the home of William S. Kindred and the daughter of the homesteader,
Elizabeth Brown. In 1889, the Kindreds expanded their farmhouse
and opened the Kindred Inn. Two steamers, Shamrock and Reliable,
made trips from South Bend to Tokeland. Mr. Kindred used to
meet the boats with a big, horse-drawn tally ho.
It was during this time that Tokeland gained a reputation as
a fine beach resort, attracting guests from as far away as Idaho
and southern California.